Best Buy Credit Card Review - Consumerism Commentary

Several times, Ive done what is considered unthinkable by most personal finance experts: I signed up for store credit cards at the point of sale. I have a Macys card, which I signed up for a discount on clothing I was planning to buy clothing that is probably overpriced in the first place. But when I was first starting to get some freelance web design off the ground after college, while working at a non-profit and in need of another source of income, I needed to stop using my roommates computer. My own desktop computer was insufficient for working on the latest technologies because it was about six years old and couldnt handle broadband internet connections. I couldnt afford a computer, but to get my business off the ground, I bought the computer with a 0% APR store credit card, having qualified for just enough credit to make the purchase possible (what a coincidence).

That card was an earlier incarnation of the Best Buy Reward Zone® Credit Card. For me, the attraction was the 12-month 0% APR offer on the store purchase at the time, and the card was not free from problems. Because of how they tend to trap you, and are used to encourage purchasing of items you cannot afford, you should stay away from store cards in general. But for those who frequent Best Buy, the latest incarnation of the card has a decent rewards program.

Keep in mind that if youre buying your electronics and most other items at Best Buy, youre already likely overpaying. I still manage to find good deals, but only on discontinued items when I can haggle with the manager. Unlike 1999, I prefer Amazon.com or specialty discount stores like B&H Photo and Video and NewEgg over Best Buy. The rewards program might make it worthwhile, especially if you manage to find good deals at Best Buy.

Like most credit cards offers, the Best Buy Credit Card offers an incentive for signing up, but it varies. If you sign-up in person at a Best Buy location, you may receive a discount on your first purchase using the card. If you sign-up online, there is no discount. The card also includes a rewards program. You have the option of Flexible Financing options or become a Rewards Zone Member and you may be eligible for 2.5 points for every $1 spent (thats 5% back) on all Best Buy purchases with the card using standard credit financing, a $5 reward certificate for every 250 points, exclusive discounts and events.

The largest detraction of this card is the interest rate, which is generally higher than other cards I write about on Consumerism Commentary. The purchase APR on the Best Buy Credit Card Preferred is 25.24% or 27.99% variable. Select purchases may be eligible for a 48 month reduced rate credit plan, but be sure to check the current offer for details.

Cashiers are often rewarded bonuses when they successfully pressure or otherwise convince shoppers to open up a new credit line at the point of sale. Its a very effective technique, and dangling an immediate discount and future discounts traps even educated consumers. I still use my Macys card, and when I arrive home after shopping, I access my account and pay the bill right away so I dont get caught in any high interest traps.

As a rule of thumb, no financial decision should be made spur of the moment. The Best Buy Reward Zone® Credit Card may look good initially but its high interest rate and strict rewards program will benefit too few. Unless you are an expert at finding deals at Best Buy, youd be better off looking into an all-around cash rewards credit card that offers big bonuses with a low interest rate and no annual fee. Offers may change frequently, and without notice so please visit referenced sites for current information.

Updated September 1, 2013 and originally published August 31, 2011. If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to the RSS feed or receive daily emails. Follow @ConsumerismComm on Twitter and visit our Facebook page for more updates.

Luke Landes is the founder of Consumerism Commentary. He has been blogging and writing for the internet since 1995 and has been building online communities since 1991. Find out more about Luke Landes and follow him on Twitter. View all articles by Luke Landes.

Read related articles from Consumerism Commentary




Best Buy Credit Card Review - Consumerism Commentary
Luke Landes is the founder of Consumerism Commentary. He has been blogging and writing for the internet since 1995 and has been building online communities since 1991.

Best Buy - Official Site
Credit Cards; Gift Cards; Gift Ideas; This week's best deals, all in the Tag Design, MY BEST BUY, and BESTBUY.COM are trademarks of Best Buy and its

Reward Zone® MasterCard® | Credit Karma
Reward Zone MasterCard So bad I didn't stop to read the reviews of their credit card. I can not believe how manipulative best buy credit card people are.

Best Credit Card Reviews of 2015 - Reviews.com
Best Student Credit Card Reviews. Continue Reading. We went ahead and created several top lists to help highlight the best credit cards for specific use cases.

Consumer Reports Picks Top 3 Credit Cards for Your Needs
Top 3 credit cards for cash Consumer Reports Picks Top 3 Credit Cards for Figuring out which credit card works best for your lifestyle and spending

best credit cards - Consumerism Commentary
Here are reviews of the best credit cards available today. and I often buy items from Target and Best Buy for work as Consumerism Commentary Credit Card Center

Best Credit Card Buying Guide Consumer Reports
Read our credit card Buying Guide from the experts you can trust Best Buy Drugs; Exercise according to a nationwide survey by the Consumer Reports National

Creditcards.org - Best Credit Card Reviews and Ratings
Find the best credit card Leading Credit Cards for November 2015 CreditCards.org invites Creditcards.org does not review or include all credit card

Best Buy Credit Card: Rewards & Financing
¹ Get 2.5 points (1 base point plus 1.5 bonus points) per $1 spent (5% back in rewards) on qualifying Best Buy purchases when you choose Standard Credit with your

Best Credit Card Offers and Rewards - Consumer Reports
Best Buy Drugs; Exercise wide range of credit-card deals, the Consumer Reports Money Lab developed built a credit history. She wants a credit card so that she

Best Buy Credit Card Review - Consumerism Commentary Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: bombig dose
 

Top